The last two weeks have been difficult for me considering that my two favorite ladies were out of town. My wife and daughter went to see her family in Nebraska to spend some quality time on her parents farm. Not only did she take my beautiful daughter with her, she took my dog as well. Coming home at night from a long day at work was not the most fun thing to do during the time a part. I felt like a wealthy man with no friends and family, hand fulls of money and no one to spend it on. I would come home wanting to love on them and find no one there to receive my love.
One evening while sitting at home in an empty house, I had a breakthrough in my personal life concerning my own identity. For years I have battled with finding my own identity as a man. I have been obsessed more with proving that I am worthy of my fathers legacy than by finding out who I am and making that legacy greater. Although it is a very difficult task, we must look at who our fathers are, but not make there legacy the priority. At some point we have got to make a decision that the legacy's of our father's can't and won't control our identities as individuals. My father will always be a piece of who I am, but I can't allow him and his legacy be all I am.
Two weeks after dropping my girls off in Nebraska, I went and picked them up. I expected my 14 month old daughter to run to me at first sight, but something else occurred. Instead she calmly came over to me and wanted to show me everything she had been doing for the past few weeks. She took me outside, walked me over to the barn and showed me the new baby kittens that she had been watching over. As crazy as it may sound, I believe the reason she reacted this way is because she had no doubt that daddy was coming back to get her. She loves me to pieces and is a lot like me in many ways, but me being absent in her life for two weeks didn't change how she lived it. She was still the same adorable, playful, curious, and feisty girl without me. Wow, what an ending to a beautiful lesson from my Lord. We must learn to be ourselves and act accordingly despite the family legacy. Again, our father's will always be a piece of who we are, but we can't allow our father's and their legacy's be all we are.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Terrific statement. We are all on a journey.
Post a Comment